Sunday, April 13, 2008

My beloved SAK...pet

So, SAK has a pet rat. I hesitate telling all of you because I want you to come see me perform, but it's true. SAK has a family pet rat named Jessica.

Rats have always loved theaters -- lots of dark nooks and crannies to hide in and lots of left over bits of food -- scavenger heaven! But I never knew that there was a theater that returned the favor, that loved one rat so much that it NAMED it, or in this case, her.

I voluntered for the shows last night and all of the other staff, volunteers and crew all knew about Jessica. They were talking about how she walks vs. how she runs, what they think makes her come out of hiding vs. what makes her go back into her hole and how she has stopped mid-trot and gazed adoringly at so many of them. I wish I were kidding.

God made all creatures, I know. But rats are so...ratty! I can deal with a rat in a cage or maybe even on a city street where it's running away from me...and vice versa:) I'm horrified enough knowing that there are rats all around the theater and that one might make a showing when I'm there. But naming it? Embracing it??? That's crazy, yo!

So, I feel strangely compelled to visit the theater late at night when no one is around -- just me and Jessica. It's time to have a talk with her, you know, woman to...rat. She needs to know her place and that it's decidedly not at SAK. Despite how my compodres feel, I will not be embracing nor even speaking kindly about Jessica. In fact, if the sound coming from my theater changes temporarily from laughter to mourning...don't rat me out.

3 comments:

dahved said...

Hmmm...I was at SAK with my work team a couple weeks ago, and heard some noises from above us near the door to the lobby. A SAK person said it was a cat...true? Or just assuring a patron that there was no rat?

Amy Christmas said...

From time to time we keep a house cat...a particularly ravenous one:) But truth be told we haven't had one of those in a while which is why we've gotten to the place where we're naming our rats. But aren't you glad you were loving reassured??? Otherwise you'd've been distracted for the whole show and your $13 bucks would've been wasted! BTW...do I know you?

Daniela said...

Hey Amy- Nice to see you around. I'd missed reading about your funny life. why isn't MY life funny?!

-daniela