Saturday, May 9, 2009

Focusing my Skills: Part 2

Coming up with a skill-summary...is hard! I am the long-winded and all-inclusive type. Summarizing, by it's very nature, requires me to be brief and exclusive. Ugh. Regardless, I think I can push through my verbosity...here goes!

PEOPLE
I need to work with people. I need to talk to them, listen to them and be in front of them. Whether it's teaching, training, selling or analyzing I love, love, love working with people! Specifically, I need to be face to face with either large and changing crowds or one on one with regular clients.

PROBLEMS
I get bored so easily. I worked in a parts packaging factory for 3 months in college and almost died of boredom! I simply cannot be involved in repetive activity. I like solving problems that have to do with people, plans and systems. Specifically, I need to have ample opportunity to learn, plan, strategize, organize/reorganize and create solutions that didn't exist before.

PASSION
I have a heart, I cannot hide it and I don't want to! I'm not some basket case of emotion who cries at Kleenex commercials. I'm just not a hard-hearted, it's-just-business-don't-take-it-personally decision-maker. I need to be able to love what I'm doing. I prefer work that has some weight to it, some meaning and lasting value. Specifically, I need to feel something for my work and to be able to show what I'm feeling.

Not too bad! I'm sure I'll continue to update and refine the list -- I also need to work on thinking about the list in negative terms and work on describing the type of environment I thrive in. For now though, I can already feel my job search focusing itself -- some job apps are calling my name!

No comments: