Monday, May 18, 2009

Job Hunting Feels like Online Dating only a lot Worse: Part I

Seriously. The process of finding and applying for jobs is like dating online. I should know! I'm a proud 5-year retired veteran, as in, I dated online (a lot!) for 5 years, but am now retired (married) and yes, I met him online!


I had fun dating online. I made profiles on a few different sites, started sending and receiving emails and then...wha-lah! I met a lot of nice guys, ate a lot good food, laughed, danced and flirted until I dropped! It felt GREAT! I felt pretty, desirable and like the world was full of options...just for me.


Finding jobs to apply for involves a similar process. I go to job boards (dating sites) to look for jobs (men) and make myself available there (post a professional profile) as well. I apply to as many jobs (send my resume) as I can handle and schedule interviews (dates.)


Wait a minute?! Where are the flowers? Candles? Romance? Ugh. The similarities job hunting and online dating are structural only. Of course, I'm being facietious -- I don't expect potential employers to romance me. But couldn't it all be just a little more fun?


Regardless, I shall press on! I applied to 5 jobs just today -- my prince...er...new boss is out there somewhere!

No comments: