Thursday, May 14, 2009

The Reinvention of...Me!

I've said that I'm reinventing myself in 2009. For the record, I really mean it! I don't know where I'm headed, but I do know that I haven't been happy (at work) for quite some time and am determined to head in a different direction. The question is: in what direction should I go?

I've taken a million personality tests over the years. Campus Crusade for Christ is great at developing their people -- many of the tests I've taken are from my time with them. So I've gathered all of them that I can find and have been studying, analyzing and investigating with an intensity and anticipation that I haven't felt for some time. I'm looking for clues to my future's path. It's exciting...and confusing!

It's exciting because I sense the possibilites, but confusing because some of the possibilities seem to be total opposites. I think that there are probably a number of things I could do and be successful. The question is: what will leave me with a sense of satisfaction? When I get to the end of my life, what accomplishments will I look back on and be pleased with?

Developing a personal mission statement will help answer those questions -- for sure. I also think I need to "verbally process" my possibilities here and dialogue with with my friends. All things in my mind become more clear once they come out of my mouth:)

In one particular personality and skills inventory, my interests and strengths were matched with those in various job fields -- my top 20 matches were listed. I noticed that almost all of the top 20 could be put into 4 basic (very basic!) job/work categories: Religion, Law, Education and Social Work. See what I mean about confusing!?

After my initial confusion though, I started to see some similarities between the job fields and that gives me hope. They each involve: work that makes a meaningful difference, relating to people, relating to them about their problems, helping people to solve their problems, dealing with the inner life of others and motivating others in one way or another. They all involve the government on some level, require that one be a student of people and involve varying levels of social theory. Then, once I thought I about their differences, I realized that I think they are minimal: educational requirements, public perception and level of formality required on the job.

It's all so interesting! So I'm not afraid of the confusion, even though I don't have answers yet. I do welcome your input and stay tuned -- I think I'm a good story:)

No comments: